SIAL Canada 2017
Sial Canada 2017 was the ultimate event for celebrating food from all over the world.
I was lucky enough to spend time in the EU pavilion sampling some of the best food imports from Poland, Greece, France, Wales and more. I love lamb and as I arrived, Chef Sean MacDonald was serving up Lamb Skewers in Cranberry Sauce. When he was done whipping up this delicious dish, I managed to steal Chef Sean, get this recipe and find out where each of these delectable ingredients originally came from.
I can’t wait to make these lamb skewers on the BBQ this summer and now you can too.
Lamb Skewers in Cranberry Sauce
Products from the EU Pavilion:
- 600 g Welsh Lamb PGI Lamb fillet (Welsh lamb)
- CORNICABRA Olive oil Montes de Toledo PDO (Casas de Hualdo, SL, Spain)
- Chicory (VLAM, Belgium)
- 2 Sweet peppers (VLAM, Belgium)
- Salt (Zoutman, Belgium)
- 1 Mandora Fruit (Snack a Fruit, Cyprus)
- Canadian products:
- ‘Enjoy It’s from Europe’ events in Canada 2017
- 200 g Frozen Canadian cranberries
- 1 Garlic
- Black pepper
- 100g Fennel seeds
1. For the marinade, smash garlic up with fennel seeds by using a pestle and mortar and add some salt and black pepper (according to taste). Mix it with mandora zest and olive oil.
2. Cut the lamb into about 5 cm pieces, place the pieces on a baking tray and mix them well with the marinade.
3. Cut the sweet pepper into pieces, also cut the chicory into pieces.
4. Thread the pieces of lamb meat, sweet pepper and chicory onto the skewers alternating the ingredients.
5. Use the barbeque grill or griddle pan to grill the kebabs for about 7-10 minutes, or until evenly cooked.
6. Prepare the cranberry sauce: put frozen cranberries in a sauce pan, add 1 cup of sugar and 1-2 strips of mandora zest. Add 2 tbsps water. Cook for about 12 minutes.
7. Serve the lamb skewers with Canadian cranberry sauce.